A live recap of what happened while we slept overnight and what lies ahead. We go through charts on the S&P 500, Apple, WTI Oil and Natural gas. Markets are subdued after yesterday’s retest of support. More soft data out of China sees oil and copper futures weaker. The markets primed for Fed talk. The FOMC decision and updated projections due at 2:00 p.m. ET today followed by Fed Chair Powell’s press conference at 2:30 p.m. ET
- Enjoy live commentary from Our Trading Room at youtube as the day wraps up – feel free to like and share
One key thing to watch after the Fed meeting is how interest rate hike expectations change. At present Fed futures are pricing in 2 hikes next year.
The Fed at today’s FOMC is expected to quicken the taper to $30B per month. With the current pace at $105B, that would get to no bond buying near March and pave the way for tightening(s) assuming all goes well (uncertain).
The Fed will also adjust their dot plot which would likely show tightening twice in 2022 (up toward 0.75% for the Fed funds target) vs near unchanged in the September plot (projected 0.3% from 0.25% in September). The 2023 plot should likewise show a jump. In September it forecast a 1.0% rate. That should move toward 1.5% or so.
Yesterday’s Wrap: Market Wrap – Heading Into The Fed Meeting After Record High Inflation
- WTI futures down 1.1%, or $0.78, to $69.95/bbl ahead of DoE
- Natural gas -.08 after yesterday’s weaker weather runs crumbled prices
- Apple hanging around $174.90, up 0.50 from yesterday.
- The obsession remains the price of Apple for 3 trillion market is $182.86
- Eli Lilly (LLY 260.00, +10.62) +4.3% after guiding higher for FY21 and FY22.
- Lowe’s (LOW 242.35, -10.11) -4.0% reaffirmed below-consensus revenue guidance for FY22 and issuing underwhelming guidance for FY23.
- Nucor (NUE 117.00, -1.42): -1.2% after issuing downside guidance for Q4.
- CMC Materials (CCMC 180.05, +34.08): +23.4% after agreeing to be acquired by Entegris (ENTG 138.99, -4.23, -3.0%) for an enterprise value of roughly $6.5 billion in cash and stock.
- Yields flat ahead of Fed. The 2-yr yield is up one basis point to 0.67%, and the 10-yr yield is up one basis point to 1.45%.
- Spot gold unchanged at $1770.44
- Spot silver is down $0.08 or -0.37% at $21.84
- Bitcoin at $47,722, down about $600 from 5 PM price of $48,300
- In forex the AUD the strongest, CAD weakest
- Japan’s Nikkei: +0.1%
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng: -0.9%
- China’s Shanghai Composite: -0.4%
- India’s Sensex: -0.6%
- South Korea’s Kospi: +0.1%
- Australia’s ASX All Ordinaries: -0.8%.
- STOXX Europe 600: +0.4%
- Germany’s DAX: +0.3%
- U.K.’s FTSE 100: -0.2%
- France’s CAC 40: +0.6%
- Italy’s FTSE MIB: +0.4%
- Spain’s IBEX 35: -0.7%.
Key Stories in Depth
Visit Traders Market Weekly: Central Banker Deluge December 10 – 16 2021
for the daily calendar
Earnings Calendar For Today
- $PRM Perimeter Solutions $HEXO Hexo Corp $MLVF Malvern $OCCI Ofs Credit $BLBX Blackboxstocks
- $SKIL Skillsoft $CLSK Cleanspark $LVLU Lulus Fashion Lounge $OPTT Ocean Power Technologies $SEAC Seachange $MMMB Mamamancini’s $ASPU Aspen Group
Any questions please feel free to ask them below. Trade Smart!
Have a great trading day!
RISK DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FOR SECURITIES, STOCKS, FOREX, CRYPTO FUTURES OR ANY OTHER FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT
This information is provided for educational purposes only and is not a direction to buy or sell the instruments discussed. It is imperative before trading you assess your individual risk, the market risk, taxation risk, your counterparties risk and your suitability to engage in any investment of trading financially, mentally or ethically or legally. This warning does not cover all possible risks and is for educational purposes only.
THE NFA in their disclosure statement discusses the characteristics and risks of standardized security futures contracts traded on regulated U.S. exchanges. At present, regulated exchanges are authorized to list futures contracts on individual equity securities registered under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (including common stock and certain exchange-traded funds and American Depositary Receipts), as well as narrow-based security indices. Futures on other
types of securities and options on security futures contracts may be authorized in the future.
It is advised and suggested before trading you read the risk disclosure documents of what and where you intend to trade. We have included the short form from the NFA, this is not to be taken as a be all and end all please continue with your own investigation of the markets or instruments you trade with.
Before trading go to: RISK DISCLOSURE STATEMENT FOR SECURITY FUTURES CONTRACTS