Germany’s population in 2022 grew by 1.12 million, or 1.3 percent, to 84.4 million. In 2021 the population grew just 0.1 percent. It was the largest annual surge in population numbers since Germany’s reunification of East and West over three decades ago. The surge was mainly due to increased pregnancy’s due to Covid lockdown and a notable influx of 1.46 million individuals through net immigration mainly caused by the arrival of refugees from Ukraine. Net migration was 329,000 in 2021. As in previous years, the number of deaths exceeded the number of births in 2022.
German Population Highlights
- Germany’s population grew by 1.12 million, or 1.3%, to 84.4 million in 2022,
- Up from growing 0.1 % in 2021.
- Germany has 42.8 million women and 41.6 million men
- Influx of 1.46 million individuals through net immigration, mainly caused by refugee movements from Ukraine.
- Up from 329,000 in 2021.
- Number of deaths exceeded the number of births in 2022
- Disparity between deaths and births further widened to 327 thousand, compared to 228 thousand in 2021.
- North Rhine-Westphalia population increase was up 214,500)
- Bayern population increase was up 192,400)
- Baden-Württemberg population increase was up 155,000)
From The TradersCommunity News Desk