SPACE DISCOVERIES – 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

[size=5]JAN 7 – MARS/JUPITER conjunction 2 hours before DAWN … 2018 = Year of MARS as it will be CLOSE this year ,,, 35M miles away..get you telescopes ready 8)
    http://earthsky.org/tonight/marsjupiter-conjunction-on-january-7%5B/size%5D

^^^^ BRRRRRRRRR …. wrapped up & went out in +2F temps to observe for a few minutes …. it was beautiful as Jupiter is brightest “star” in skies and Mars looked like a baby star right beside it 🙂

Assistanc3
    Participant

The detected object has been named 1I/2017 U1, with the designation “I” to represent an interstellar object. The object is more commonly referred to as ‘Oumuamua, pronounced HO u mu a mu a, meaning “first messenger from far” in Hawaiian.

Astronomers are still trying to answer where ‘Oumuamua came from. The most plausible explanation is that ‘Oumuamua was ejected from another solar system, similar to how many icy objects were ejected from our solar system in its early formation days. The least likely scenario is perturbation from an unknown planet or Planet X. “If you backtrack its orbit, it seems that we bumped into this object, rather than this object bumping into us,” says Dr. Weryk. ‘Oumuamua appears to have come from the direction of the star Vega in the Lyra constellation, which is the general direction that our solar system orbits the galaxy. It is possible that this object has orbited the galaxy many times.

some more info here
    http://spaceq.ca/oumuamua-may-have-opened-the-door-for-other-interstellar-visitors/

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=3658]The “First Interstellar Asteroid”

Assistanc3
    Participant

Buried glaciers have been spotted on Mars, offering new hints about how much water may be accessible on the Red Planet and where it is located, researchers said Thursday.

Although ice has long been known to exist on Mars, a better understanding of its depth and location could be vital to future human explorers, said the report in the US journal Science.

Erosion has exposed eight ice sites, some as shallow as a few feet (one meter) below the surface, and going as deep as 100 meters or more, it said.

These underground cliffs appear “to be nearly pure ice,” said the report, which is based on data from the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, launched in 2005.

https://phys.org/news/2018-01-deep-glaciers-mars.html

Assistanc3
    Participant

NASA may have just improved our potential for deep space exploration by inventing a new type of autonomous space navigation. Known as Station Explorer for X-Ray Timing and Navigation Technology, or SEXTANT, the technology uses pulsars — rotating neutron stars that emit electromagnetic radiation — to determine the location of objects in space.

The way SEXTANT uses pulsars has been compared to how GPS navigation can provide drivers with positioning and accurate navigation using satellites orbiting around Earth. The pulsars SEXTANT uses are best observed in the X-ray spectrum, in which their beams of radiation essentially turn them into lighthouses.

via Futurism

more info at NASA
    https://gameon.nasa.gov/projects/deep-space-x-ray-navigation-and-communication/

Assistanc3
    Participant

[size=5]YAY – We’ve got a 21st version of the Saturn V .. How KOOL is that 8)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/science/falcon-heavy-spacex-launch.html%5B/size%5D
    [color=teal][b]If I were head of NASA – I would have multiples of these built
    Then we can ship materials to build space stations & large space ships in outer space itself
    For example, USS Enterprise 1701 was assembled in space rather than on Earth
    That is why this launch was so important … we can better go to Mars & other moons if we build large ships in space[/b][/color]

Assistanc3
    Participant

In the Star Trek movie (2009) it is shown that the USS Enterprise is being built on the ground.

ridiculous I know, because of the amount of energy it would require to launch it into space would probably vaporize Earth.

Assistanc3
    Participant

@GenChuckYeager

You won’t believe it. I don’t believe it myself…but I turn 95 years old today. Enjoyed visiting with @oakridgeboys & my cousin Dodger great Steve Yeager. Oak @oakridgeboys sang beautifully as always & heard It Takes a Little Rain twice! Great song. Great day. #birthdaygift

Assistanc3
    Participant

NASA’s Jim Green is joined by David Grinspoon of the Planetary Science Institute to discuss Venus’ volcanoes, clouds of sulfuric acid, and runaway greenhouse effect. Was Venus once was like Earth in its distant past and what clues might it provide about the future of our own planet? You’ll also hear about Venus’ backward rotation and “forever sunsets,” plus the remarkable and heroic “Apollo 11”-like story of the Akatsuki spacecraft.

Jim Green: One of the things that’s fascinated me about Venus is that it rotates in the opposite direction, and it rotates very slowly. How has that affected its evolution, do you think?

David Grinspoon: Yeah, it’s an interesting fact that, you know, almost all the planets rotate in the same direction as Earth does. So, if you’re standing on their surfaces, the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, like we’re used to.

If you were on the surface of Venus, assuming you could see the Sun, which, you know, would be hard because it’s so cloudy there, but the Sun would actually rise in the west and set in the east. And, it would do so very, very slowly, because the planet rotates incredibly slowly.

So, in fact, if you’re on Venus, you could walk fast enough to keep the sunset in the same place. You could walk as fast as the Sun is moving around the planet. I did that calculation once and I was like, “Wow, well that would be kind of neat. You could watch the sunset forever just by walking.”

But, you know, how that fits into the evolution is a fascinating question. We don’t fully understand the cause of that. We surmise that it’s related, both to the early impact history of Venus, just as Earth’s rotation and Earth’s moon are related to the early impact history of the Earth and setting the Earth spinning in a certain way.

Transcript: https://www.nasa.gov/mediacast/gravity-assist-podcast-venus-with-david-grinspoon

I love 1950s & 1960s sci-fi 🙂

Assistanc3
    Participant

Stephen W. Hawking, the Cambridge University physicist and best-selling author who roamed the cosmos from a wheelchair, pondering the nature of gravity and the origin of the universe and becoming an emblem of human determination and curiosity, died early Wednesday at his home in Cambridge, England. He was 76.

^^^+3 … Yes, Godspeed — Dr. Hawking who was indeed a GENIUS throughout his life, even though crippled by ALS … what he did in tackling ALS is equally heroic in addition to contribution to sciences … not certain if he believed fully in creator, but he may indeed meet the entity that supplied all that matter in creating the big bang & patterning out of galaxies & universe when the cosmic firecracker was lit 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.