Roku IPO The New Rocket Man $ROKU Launches 61% on Debut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ThePitBoss
    Participant

[article]222[/article]

TradersCom
    Keymaster

Quite the squeeze – interesting if they got short as a decent sized float

Assistanc3
    Participant

$ROKU is hardware and the middle man
    newer TV’s are already making hardware obsolete

with DIAL “Discovery And Launch” you can get around a top box
    Roku is DIAL-enabled but DIAL only really works for Netflix and YouTube.

What Android device users can do is, use the Google Cast extension (supports DIAL) on the smart phone and mirror the phone to the smart TV. This is why its smart to hold onto that last smartphone, tablet or laptop when you buy a new one.

Now with that said, if one wanted to create the ultimate home media center, they would get an old PC (that at least has an HDMI output) and Bluetooth and create the media center that you really want. Add in a cloud storage device and you are looking at easily 2-3 terabytes of storage.

Assistanc3
    Participant

Roku has opted to offer two classes of shares to investors. Class B common stock, which is owned by executives, directors and several early investors, will have 10 votes for every one vote of the Class A stock, which is being offered to investors. In the S-1, Roku warned investors that as a result of the lopsided voting rights, investors who buy in at the IPO will have a limited influence over the company’s direction for the foreseeable future.

Truman
    Participant

[quote=”Assistanc3″ post=1811]$ROKU is hardware and the middle man
    newer TV’s are already making hardware obsolete

with DIAL “Discovery And Launch” you can get around a top box
    Roku is DIAL-enabled but DIAL only really works for Netflix and YouTube.

What Android device users can do is, use the Google Cast extension (supports DIAL) on the smart phone and mirror the phone to the smart TV. This is why its smart to hold onto that last smartphone, tablet or laptop when you buy a new one.

Now with that said, if one wanted to create the ultimate home media center, they would get an old PC (that at least has an HDMI output) and Bluetooth and create the media center that you really want. Add in a cloud storage device and you are looking at easily 2-3 terabytes of storage.[/quote]

Thank you for the tips A3 – wish I was more tech savvy 🙁

Truman
    Participant

[quote=”Assistanc3″ post=1812]Roku has opted to offer two classes of shares to investors. Class B common stock, which is owned by executives, directors and several early investors, will have 10 votes for every one vote of the Class A stock, which is being offered to investors. In the S-1, Roku warned investors that as a result of the lopsided voting rights, investors who buy in at the IPO will have a limited influence over the company’s direction for the foreseeable future.[/quote]

They keep pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with and greed just puts blinkers on in this pass the parcel game.

KnovaWave
    Participant

This seems relevant to the discussion:

Emotional biases are based on feelings rather than facts. They can overpower rationality, particularly in times of stress. Loss aversion is one type of emotional bias.

Self-control bias: the tendency to consume today at the expense of tomorrow, which can encourage a short-term rather than long-term investment strategy.
    Illusion of control bias: belief that people have some power or ability to control and/or influence investment outcomes, even when it is highly improbable.
    Overconfidence bias: an unjustifiable belief that someone’s own thoughts and abilities are paramount and always right. This can be a detrimental bias that leads investors to ignore the facts, minimize important details and conduct less research.

Seems the loss aversion one not too heavy out there right now!

Assistanc3
    Participant

On the old GotS forum, CautiousInvestor and I would go on for days talking about these kinda things.

When TC showed me a picture of his gutted house, the 2nd thing that came to mind was

o_O
    now would be a good time to re-wire the house with computer type extensions (USB/HDMI/Ethernet)
    O_o

[quote=”Blarney” post=1817]
    Thank you for the tips A3 – wish I was more tech savvy :([/quote]

ROKU = CUT THE CORD name brand … and that alone got them a GREAT IPO finish (still everyone & their brother are making “smart TVs”) … and when we cut the cord back in 2013, I set a goal to never pay for TV again … The free side UTube alone satisfies my every need (as I like educational content in nature, science, Biblical, etc.). And TV stays unplugged except for sports shown on local channels.

Did someone say “Rocket Man” – lol

Truman
    Participant

Great cartoon! Now I am going to have to dig out a Friday song…

Truman
    Participant

Trumped by Roku ….

Rocket Man – Elton John

ThePitBoss
    Participant

The beat goes on…

KnovaWave
    Participant

Roku Inc looking a long way from the high – Wave 5 with impulse off 29.80 today more than $6 lower

October 2, 1:44 PM EDT
    23.62 – 2.88 -10.87%

KnovaWave
    Participant

[quote=”KnovaWave” post=1923]Roku Inc looking a long way from the high – Wave 5 with impulse off 29.80 today more than $6 lower

October 2, 1:44 PM EDT
    23.62 – 2.88 -10.87%[/quote]

Your alternatives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.