Rare Earths Miner Lynas Rebounds After Malaysia PM Comments

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TradersCom
    Keymaster

[article]1097[/article]

Truman
    Participant

Have been following Lynas for a long time and Maylasia has always been the what if. This tory is heating up:

Lynas staff and contractors hold protest seeking fair review as they fear plant shutdown

via T.N. Alagesh New Straits Times 8 October 2018

KUANTAN: Thousands of Lynas Malaysia staff, its contractors, local community members and their respective families gathered at the Petanque Arena, Balok beach, near here on Saturday, to show their support for the rare-earth plant.
    Organised by the employees themselves, the peaceful rally was held to express their concern over possible loss of jobs if the executive review committee acted based on assertions of certain politicians that insisted on the closure of the plant.
    Clad in red T-shirts, the 1,000-odd group gathered at 2.30pm carrying placards bearing #SaveLynas and #KamiWargaKuantan (#WeAreTheKuantanPeople) hashtags.

Chanting “Hidup Lynas” (long live Lynas), “YAB Tun Bantu Kami” (Honourable Tun please help us) and “Hidup Tun” (long live Tun), the staff appealed to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad to consider their plight.
    Lynas Malaysia Solvent Extraction senior manager Khairul Suhaimi Mohd Jamin, 41, said he felt that there was a need to call for the rally as he believed the company and its workers were being “bullied.”

Lynas Malaysia Solvent Extraction senior manager Khairul Suhaimi Mohd Jamin, 41 (Left), said he felt that there was a need to call for the rally as he believed the company and its workers were being “bullied.” Meanwhile, Lynas Malaysia financial accountant, Mohd Fairuz Kasmoin, 32 , called on the government to treat Lynas just like any other company or factory. Pic by NSTP/courtesy of LYNAS

“I urge the person running this review to act fairly and be transparent. We have no problem with a review into Lynas Malaysia’s operations because we abide by the rules, but we just want it to be fair,” he said.

Khairul, who has been working with Lynas since it began operation in 2012, said he never considered the plant to be dangerous or harmful to the residents in Kuantan.

Meanwhile, Lynas Malaysia financial accountant, Mohd Fairuz Kasmoin, 32, called on the government to treat Lynas just like any other company or factory.

“I voted for the Pakatan Harapan government but now it has come back to bite me. I am quite disappointed,” he said.
    The rally was held following recent media reports that some members of the Lynas executive review committee were individuals who have been in the forefront of the anti-Lynas campaign for the past decade.

Lynas Malaysia has 631 employees, 97 per cent of whom are Malaysians. including contractors and major suppliers.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/fearing-shut-down-lynas-staff-113017870.html

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.