Market Weekly: Sep 10 – Sep 16 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Where have we been and where are we…

[article]1053[/article]

The
    Participant

Anyone think it’s a coincidence the Vostok-2018 military exercise by Russia, China, and Mongolia begin on September 11th, the anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy in the USA.

Russia alone will be sending around 300,000 troops and 1,000 aircraft to the joint military exercise. The Vostok-2018 military exercise is clearly aimed to project military power externally outside of Russia.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-biggest-war-games-since-cold-war-vostok-2018-military-exercises-china/

[color=purple][b]Every SEPTEMBER 11th, I worry about & pray for safety of our nation. I used to travel & almost live in NYC in early years of my career (went week for a time every other week to move data center from NY to VA) … I’ve been in Trade Towers many times as path train came out there — including several times on observatory & ate in “Windows of World” restaurant … and our next door neighbor lost their son in Pentagon attacks … and that day takes on a special significance

And hopefully 2018 is like every other year that I become a “worry wart” — but do feel in our divided nation that history can easily repeat itself as recent leaders have not taken border security seriously[/b][/color]

ClemSnide
    Participant

[quote=”Rattlesnake” post=7868]Anyone think it’s a coincidence the Vostok-2018 military exercise by Russia, China, and Mongolia begin on September 11th, the anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy in the USA.

Russia alone will be sending around 300,000 troops and 1,000 aircraft to the joint military exercise. The Vostok-2018 military exercise is clearly aimed to project military power externally outside of Russia.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-biggest-war-games-since-cold-war-vostok-2018-military-exercises-china/%5B/quote%5D

No coincidence – a combined show of strength (or at least attempt) on a very somber day for the US – if anything it will have the sabers rattling. The China aspect is interesting given the current state of North Korea negs.

I think the point is more to unite the Russians dealing with a weak economy and poverty coming into a cold winter against he evil west – one more twist is to show the Iranians that they are with them with sanctions coming up. All on a day when most world’s eyes are on America.

KEEP an eye on SKIES as HURRICANE SEASON peaks in next 3 weeks

MoneyNeverSleeps
    Participant

All Eyes on BoE and ECB Thursday

The European Central Bank and Bank of England Likely on Track

The ECB is likely to tell us more on the decision to halve monthly asset purchases come in October, bringing into sight the end of its 2.6 trillion-euro stimulus program. But of course allow flexibility, the ECB will likely maintain that it expects to, rather than will, exit stimulus at the end of 2018.

Expectations for the ECB’s first rate hike have been pushed to late next year with trade tensions, emerging market turmoil and Italian budget uncertainties. Draghi is likely to reiterate he remains on track to wind down QE, while keeping rates low well into next year.

The BoE has already indicated it could raise rates once a year following its 25 bps hike in August. So its views on Brexit talks and any comments from Governor Mark Carney on his tenure will be of most interest.

MoneyNeverSleeps
    Participant

This crossing the wires:

U.S. OFFICIALS SAY ASSAD HAS APPROVED GAS ATTACK IN IDLIB: WSJ

The
    Participant

[quote=”MoneyNeverSleeps” post=7883]This crossing the wires:

U.S. OFFICIALS SAY ASSAD HAS APPROVED GAS ATTACK IN IDLIB: WSJ[/quote]

Published by Business Insider Sep. 9, 2018, 9:20 PM: Germany could join a military alliance with the US, UK, and France if Syria tries another chemical attack

https://www.businessinsider.com/germany-alliance-usa-uk-france-syria-2018-9

Published by News Corp Australia September 10, 2018, 11:37am (Australian time): Russia threatens to attack US troops supporting Syrian rebels

https://www.news.com.au/world/russia-threatens-to-attack-us-troops-supporting-syrian-rebels/news-story/318d95f35e434806723bc5a87903e42b

As happens all to often, Putin is acting up again.

[size=5][color=red”>CAUTIOUS” in every respect …
    Weather, markets, politics, and the beating of war drums :woohoo:
    Good morning & wishing a good Monday to all 8)[/b][/color][/size]

TradersCom
    Keymaster

Watching Florence CI – I trust all is well and you are safe – heading your way with so much rain and tornado risk. Our thoughts are with you.

Super Harley
    Participant

With Apple in so many portfolios and between that and $AMZN the majority of the US stock market gains for the year this is a HUGE event:

[tweet]1039158183292559361[/tweet]

Apple Verified account @Apple

Join us September 12 at 10 a.m. PDT to watch the #AppleEvent live on Twitter. Tap below and we’ll send you updates on event day.

[color=purple][b]For past day or so the remnants of GORDON have came thru SW VA …

Hoping for best in SW VA for weekend… as I shared with family – “it’s in the good Lord’s hands – and there ain’t nothing we can do” … still I will be preparing for major rainfall & power outage well ahead of time IOW – pray for best, but prepare for worst … EURO models denote direct hit of 50-60mph TS and 2-4 feet of RAIN … and while I don’t anticipate that, have already filled up car & prepared for 1 week or more power outage, just in case[/b][/color]

FILL UP TODAY if you are on EAST COAST

[size=6][b]Dow 25,857.07 -59.47 -0.23%
    [color=green]S&P 500 2,877.13 5.45 0.19%
    Nasdaq 7,924.16 21.62 0.27%[/color]
    Gold 1,200.70 0.90 0.08%
    Oil 67.61 0.07 0.10% [/b][/size]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.