Market Weekly: July 7 – July 13 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

[color=purple][size=5][i]Where have we been and where are we 8)
    Markets have surged to even HIGHER highs – even though each day media declares “end of the world” 😆
    traders & investors are banking on FED cuts + real economic strength
    — while “eclipsed” by trade wars, possible real wars, global economic slowdowns, etc.
    and one should be “CAUTIOUS” in the days ahead 🙂

Still the BULLS want to taste the sweet waters of 27,000 on DOW & 3,000 on SP-500
    So ROCK ON might be theme for markets — if we get more good news
    and if our wonderful 1st lady can hide twitter device for a few days 😉 :)[/i][/size][/color]

[article]1591[/article]

[size=5][b]Good Monday morning to all — hope all had great 4th of July holiday 🙂
    [color=red]DOW is down -140 as some profit taking occurs :woohoo:
    Hopefully bad news on Deutsche Bank (Germany) is not the canary in the EU coal mines[/color] :ohmy:[/b][/size]

ThePitBoss
    Participant

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=10981][size=5][b]Deutsche Bank in RED & will Cut 18,000 Jobs
    https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/deutsche-bank-job-cuts-equities-trading-51562525964%5B/b%5D%5B/size%5D

So those FED cuts may come in handy to save the #DeutscheBankHindenburg
    & global economic slowdown

TradersCom
    Keymaster

US Conference Board Employment trends index Down To 109.51 in June From 111.22 May

“The Employment Trends Index experienced a big drop in June, but this was primarily driven by a large negative contribution from one component – an increase in the percentage of respondents who say they find ‘Jobs Hard to Get’ in The Conference Board’s Consumer Confidence Survey,” said Gad Levanon, Chief Economist, North America, at The Conference Board.

“This marks the fourth largest monthly negative contribution in the series history, which is potentially the result of noise rather than a more significant signal. We therefore interpret this month’s large decline in the ETI with caution. With the US economy slowing a little, but still projected to remain above its 2 percent long-term trend, we expect job growth to remain strong enough to continue tightening the labor market and draw more people off the sidelines.”

Positive contributors included:

number of employees hired by the temporary help industry
    ratio of involuntary part-time to all part-time workers
    job openings
    industrial production
    real manufacturing and trade sales

Some WALL STREET beef was roasted in profit taking today :woohoo:
    [size=5][color=red][b]Dow 26,806.14 -115.98 -0.43%
    S&P 500 2,975.95 -14.46 -0.48%
    Nasdaq 8,098.38 -63.41 -0.78%
    Gold 1,397.40 -2.70 -0.19%
    Oil 57.45 -0.06 -0.10%[/b][/color][/size]

[color=purple][size=5][i]The 1990 Knebworth concert is a favorite live one of all time
    some of worlds best artists of all times..
    my better half & me love this 11m TEARS for FEARS live performance
    Vocals + instrumentals + jams are awesome – esp. 6 min mark where bongos solo occurs 8) [/i][/size][/color]

and one example for the Texans here – also features Eric Clapton 🙂

ENTIRE ALBUM PLAYLIST (29 SONGS)

TradersCom
    Keymaster

US June NFIB small business optimism index 103.3 v 103.1 expected Prior 105.0

While optimism remains at historically high levels, the June figure reverses the gain posted in May, with six components falling, three improving, and one unchanged. The Uncertainty Index rose substantially, increasing seven points to the highest level since March 2017.

“Last month, small business owners curbed spending, sales expectations and profits both fell, and the outlook for expansion dampened. When you add difficulty finding qualified workers and harmful state level laws and regulations, you’re left with a volatile mix where uncertainty has increased to levels not seen in more than two years,” said NFIB President and CEO Juanita D. Duggan.

“As expectations for sales gains and the general business environment faded, uncertainty levels increased,” said NFIB Chief Economist William Dunkelberg. “Still, job openings and plans to create jobs remain historically very strong, and while it’s not as ‘hot’ as May, Main Street is still running strong.”

Twenty-six percent of owners plan capital outlays in the next few months, down four points, and an indication there is more reluctance to make major spending commitments when the future becomes less certain.

Fifty-four percent reported capital outlays, down 10 points. Of those making expenditures, 40 percent reported spending on new equipment (down four points), 22 percent acquired vehicles (down seven points), and 12 percent improved or expanded facilities (down seven points).

Small Business Economic Trends

Helmholtz Watson
    Participant

Fed Powell opening remarks at Boston Fed conference

Gives stress tests most evolved to avoid complacency

No comment on monetary policy or the economy in opening remarks

Expect more at Chair Powell at Capitol Hill on both Wednesday and Thursday as he testifies to US lawmakers.

ThePitBoss
    Participant

Much talk about independents lately, reminds us of US billionaire and former independent Presidential candidate Ross Perot who died today at 89

When he ran in 1992 he got 19% of the popular vote against Bill Clinton and George HW Bush.

He was sharp with the tongue:

If I’m poor and you’re rich, and I can get you to defend me that’s good. But when the tables get turned, I would do my share.

Eagles don’t flock, you have to find them one at a time.

If you see a snake, just kill it – don’t appoint a committee on snakes.

We’ve shipped millions of jobs overseas and we have a strange situation because we have a process in Washington where after you’ve served for a while you cash in and become a foreign lobbyist, make $30,000 a month; then take a leave, work on Presidential campaigns, make sure you got good contacts, and then go back out.

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

​The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.

​If someone is blessed as I am is not willing to clean out the barn, who will?

Life is like a cobweb, not an organization chart.

​Most people give up just when they’re about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.

Spend a lot of time talking to customers face to face. You’d be amazed how many companies don’t listen to their customers.

Inventories can be managed, but people must be led.

Most new jobs won’t come from our biggest employers. They will come from our smallest. We’ve got to do everything we can to make entrepreneurial dreams a reality.

​If we did not have such a thing as an airplane today, we would probably create something the size of N.A.S.A. to make one.

​Most new jobs won’t come from our biggest employers. They will come from our smallest. We’ve got to do everything we can to make entrepreneurial dreams a reality.

[size=5][i]SAIL ON – as markets continue to hold up well
    even in turbulent times 🙂 and in a mad mad world 😉 :woohoo: [/i][/size]
    [size=5][b]Dow 26,783.49 -22.65 -0.08%
    [color=green]S&P 500 2,979.63 3.68 0.12%
    Nasdaq 8,141.73 43.35 0.54%[/color]
    Gold 1,398.80 -1.20 -0.09%
    Oil 58.01 0.35 0.61%[/b][/size]

[color=green][i][size=5]WOW – US EQUITIES go back to record levels :cheer:
    SP500 – hit 3002 inra-tday & DOW almost hit 27,000 😆

as every symbol & punctuation mark of Powell’s testimony to Congress
    is being analyzed in fine detail by both the BEARS & BULLS 😉 :ohmy:[/size][/i][/color]

BATTON DOWN HATCHES – 1st HURRICANE of SEASON by end of week :woohoo:

[color=limegreen][size=5][b]Dow 26,860.20 76.71 0.29%
    S&P 500 2,993.07 13.44 0.45%
    Nasdaq 8,202.53 60.80 0.75%
    Gold 1,419.00 18.50 1.32%
    Oil 60.36 2.53 4.37%[/b][/size][/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.