Market Weekly: Feb 5 Feb 9 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Assistanc3
    Participant

welcome to the show Jerome Powell, new Fed Chair

Assistanc3
    Participant

I literally fell asleep 10 minutes after making that Quicken Loans post
    was gonna comment on how indices recovered from the lower futures but was to tired πŸ˜›

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=4584]A3 must be awake & buyin’ now πŸ˜‰ 8) … DOW went 355 down to 25,165 as session low & later went green … still in high volatility it’s down now about 48 points but seems to be holding[/quote]

[color=navy][size=5]Good morning and hope we stabilize some today

Futures were GREEN just a few minutes ago, but FUTURES fallen to minus 250 … it is CAT-and-MOUSE in the Futures PITs :woohoo:

Some interesting Reasons for plunge heard over past few days:

1. GREENSPAN — he noted that there are TWO bubbles (Stocks & Bonds both) — but what does he know – lol πŸ™‚

2. During 8 years of #44 we lived in an era of CHEAP MONEY backed up artificially with ZIRP …

3. NEW FOMC leadership — The switch from Janet to “Jerry” is gonna be PAINFUL but eventually better long term … the days of EZ money is coming to end

4. It;s all #45’s fault πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ … LOL – certainly FAKE news is happy to report

5. FEAR creates PANIC and OVER SELLING — Mitch S. noted a 30% to 50% possible correction as we have been overdue for a bear market correction for years ….

6. I’m definitely not that BEARISH — but I’m more in camp of seeing P/Es being around 14 to be truely balanced price-wise (at least that’s what we learned in ECON 101 in college – lol) … we are more in low 20s[/size][/color]

[color=teal][size=3][b]BEARS & BULLS are playing “CAT & MOUSE” in the FUTURES pits πŸ˜‰

As DOW FUTURES bounce from 300 down back to green :whistle: … and then back down the express elevator again :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:[/b][/size][/color]

Key investment advice from a favorite sci-fi author — Douglas Adams (Hitchhikes Guide to Galaxy) 8)

Assistanc3
    Participant

Nikkei 225 closes lower by 4.73% at 21,610.24

Germany December factory orders m/m +3.8% vs +0.7% expected
    Germany January construction PMI 59.8 vs 53.7 prior
    Eurozone January retail PMI 50.8 vs 53.0 prior

Assistanc3
    Participant

I try not look at P/E multiples by indices or market as a whole

each sector has its weighted average
    tech sector has higher P/E then utilities – because of growth expectations

With that being said, trailing and forward P/E multiples did not justify the increase in the broad stock market rally – that was Trumpism

To me this is a FAKE SELL OFF when you look at reasons why … Economic conditions are no better or worst than a month ago? Still, the experienced PROs & pit traders may try to catch folks napping on market RISKS … Just like BITCOIN sell off — sudden realities cause a shift of sentiment. GOVT shutdown II is only thing that keeps me from going back into equities — but I might start buying gradually some on these massive dips (whether falling knives or not) … this is likely just a cyclical needed correction to reset valuations & higher we go from there 8)

UN-BULL-EVIL-ABLE … After a minus 576 POINT swan dive on the DOW — we’re back to GREEN 8)

Assistanc3
    Participant

the sell off is due to increased expectations that the Fed will raise rates faster

notice yesterday at 3;10pm ET buying back in

Assistanc3
    Participant

Redbook Chain Store Sales: +3.0% Y/Y vs. +3.2% last week.

Month-to-date chain store sales +3.2% Y/Y.

February sales are expected to be up 3.6% Y/Y.

Assistanc3
    Participant

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=4618]UN-BULL-EVIL-ABLE … After a minus 576 POINT swan dive on the DOW — we’re back to GREEN 8)[/quote]

can I take a nap now or should I wait?

Assistanc3
    Participant

Target (NYSE:TGT) is now up 2.20% as the rush into retail names as an investment option continues.

Other notable retail gainers not reported on earlier include Lands’ End (LE +5.6%), Guess (GES +5.2%), Francesca’s (FRAN +4.9%), Pier 1 Imports (PIR +5%), GNC Holdings (GNC +4.1%), Genesco (GCO +5.4%), Buckle (BKE +3.9%), Office Depot (ODP +3.8%) and Finish Line (FINL +4.1%).

Walmart (NYSE:WMT) is lagging the sector a bit, only up 0.4%, presumably held down a bit by its heavy inclusion in index funds.

The SPDR S&P Retail ETF is now up 2.85%.

[size=5]DOW actually went officially into “correction territory” (10%) with the 567 point sell off at open … and then has between 200 points +/- with some improved stability … here’s hoping it will hold πŸ™‚

P.S. this article noted there is too many risky & leveraged funds that will cause it to one day implode (but some of these type experts have been saying that for years).

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/06/billionaire-investor-carl-icahn-there-are-too-many-derivatives-and-the-current-market-is-a-rumbling-warning.html%5B/size%5D

[color=green][b]+456 and RALLY TIME … STOCKS are popping back from the quickest correction in history πŸ˜†

DOW is exactly at 456 points higher at 24,801 8) … Let’s kick it up a notch :)[/b][/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.