Market Weekly: Aug 11 – August 170 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

[i][color=purple][b]Where have we been and where are we …Hope it is a good week for all — in the markets & otherwise 8)
    Summer of 2019 is quickly ending … Schools start on Monday in our area — as we have lots of snow/ice closings
    Football season is starting & Labor day will be here in a few weeks along with September :ohmy:
    Finally time to head to the deer infested gardens on this beautiful afternoon in SW VA :)[/b][/color][/i]

[article]1671[/article]

[size=5][color=purple][b]Perseid meteor shower – PEAK on SUN & MON mornings 8)
    https://www.wwlp.com/news/perseid-meteor-shower-coming-to-a-sky-near-you/%5B/b%5D%5B/color%5D%5B/size%5D

Perseid meteor shower arrives late this weekend, peaking Monday night on Aug. 12-13. The Perseids are considered to be one of the best shows of the year, along with the Geminids in mid-December. The challenge this year will be a bright moon, which can wash away fainter streaks of light.

Truman
    Participant

Sunday Morning
    Nico, The Velvet Underground

Sunday morning brings the dawn in
    It’s just a restless feeling by my side
    Early dawning, Sunday morning
    It’s just the wasted years so close behind
    Watch out, the world’s behind you
    There’s always someone around you who will call
    It’s nothing at all

Sunday morning and I’m falling
    I’ve got a feeling I don’t want to know
    Early dawning, Sunday morning
    It’s all the streets you crossed not so long ago
    Watch out, the world’s behind you
    There’s always…

KnovaWave
    Participant

Have a great week all – yes school is back so maybe some peace and quiet for many of us 🙂

[size=5][i]Good Monday morning to all … News of Day are that Hong Kong protests
    are yet an additional concern to China beyond the Trade wars
    Ohhhh the humanity …. DOW is down nearly -300 at this point[/i][/size]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fZ-14OUjng

ThePitBoss
    Participant

Getting uglier in Hong Kong 10 weeks now – at some point does this get an uglier conclusion – hard to believe it just drifts back to quiet without some kind of bang.

ThePitBoss
    Participant

[size=5][color=red][b]US July budget deficit -$119.7B vs -$120.0B expected
    Last July -76.9B$[/b][/color][/size]

Year-to-date deficit $867B vs $684B a year ago
    Up 27% compared to first 10 months of the year last year

Revenue $251B v $225B year ago
    Spending $371B v $302B a year ago

OHHH the humanity – some WALL ST BEEF was roasted today :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    [color=red][size=6][b]Dow 25,897.71 -389.73 -1.48%
    S&P 500 2,883.09 -35.56 -1.22%
    Nasdaq 7,863.41 -95.73 -1.20%
    Gold 1,522.30 5.10 0.34%
    Oil 54.76 -0.17 -0.31%[/b][/size][/color]

[size=5][i]Good TUE morning & hope it is good day for all 8)
    DOW FUTURES are down -60
    as following are a short list of concerns

[color=red][b]* T-BILL troubles (scary 1.63% on 10 year)
    * will Germany have a weak 0% or less for their GDP
    * occupy Hong Kong democracy movement
    * China trade deals
    * huge GOVT debt (at least I worried there)
    * farming impacts (weather + trade wars)
    * oil (falling prices)
    * world wide recession potential if things weaken further
    * the next TWEET 😉 :woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: [/b][/color][/i][/size]

LOL — I saw BUMPER STICKER below on car ahead of me yesterday … while I don’t actually feel that way – I did get a good laugh 😆 … And share only as humor — as I like many actions but dislike things our POTUS does as well) … I would be afraid to wear hat, t-shirt, or have bumper sticker from anyone in politics these days … I basically head for election booth every NOV & vote for lesser of the 2 evils … Both politics & news ain’t what they used to be 👿

Truman
    Participant

Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam said on Tuesday that Hong Kong is in a situation of “panic and chaos”

Protestors continued demonstrations at the airport for the fifth day. Although some flights resumed, hundreds were still canceled. Stocks tumbled, with the benchmark Hang Seng Index dropping to a seven-month low.

As protestors continued to demand her resignation, Lam said she would stay on and will “be responsible to rebuild the Hong Kong economy” and “listen as attentively as possible to my people’s grievances.”

Protests began about 10 weeks ago over a since-suspended bill that would require the extradition of anyone wanted in China. Demands have evolved into a call for greater democracy.

Truman
    Participant

Verizon will sell Tumblr to WordPress owner Automattic.

The size of the deal wasn’t disclosed, but Automattic’s chief told The Wall Street Journal that this deal is his company’s largest both financially and in terms of staff.

Several reports pegged the deal at “well below” $20 million. Automattic will take on 200 employees as part of the transaction.

Verizon, which has owned Tumblr since 2017, started to explore the idea of a sale earlier this year.

Truman
    Participant

Three women have pieced together clues of Ancient Egypt’s beer-making process and recreated a 5,000-year-old beer recipe.

Food historian Tasha Marks, brewer Michaela Charles and beer expert Susan Boyle with help from the British Museum that allowed them to use ancient pots to accurately recreate the brewing method used a two-stage mash process to replicate the ancient beer.

Grain in cold water and grain in hot water was combined to ferment with some yeast, creating a simple beer that the Egyptians treated as a type of food.

Beer was an essential for labourers in Egypt, such as those who built the pyramids of Giza, and the workers were provided with a daily ration of more than 10 pints.

She said: ‘Beer was so essential it was treated principally as a type of food.

‘It was consumed daily and in great quantities at religious festivals and celebrations.

‘Beer was an essential for labourers, like those who built the pyramids of Giza, who were provided with a daily ration of more than 10 pints.

‘Yet it still had divine status, with several gods and goddesses associated with beer.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7348413/Food-historian-recreates-ancient-Egyptian-BEER.html

TradersCom
    Keymaster

US July NFIB small business optimism index 104.7 v 104.0 exp Prior 103.3

“Contrary to the narrative about impending economic doom, the small business sector remains exceptional. This month’s index is a confirmation that small business owners remain very optimistic about the economy but are being hamstrung by not finding the workers they need.”

Reports of higher average selling prices stabilized, with no evidence of a pickup in inflation, after surging in June. Credit conditions remained very supportive, interest rates on loans were historically low, and there were few complaints about credit availability. The Uncertainty Index fell 10 points, reversing a surge in June that reached the highest level since March 2017.

NFIB Business Optimism Index in the United States averaged 98.32 Index Points from 1975 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 108.80 Index Points in August of 2018 and a record low of 80.10 Index Points in April of 1980.

[size=5][b][color=limegreen]BREAKING GOOD NEWS … POW — DOW is up over 400 points
    new 10% tariff delayed until DEC 15th[/color] 8) 8) 8)
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock-market-turns-higher-in-early-tuesday-trade-as-wall-street-attempts-to-halt-multiday-skid-2019-08-13%5B/b%5D%5B/size%5D

USTR said an increase in tariffs on some goods from China would be delayed. The U.S. Trade Representative said it would delay imposing 10% tariffs on certain Chinese products until Dec. 15, the USTR office said Tuesday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfxqQmWtGNM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.