Market Weekly: April 14 – 20 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

[color=brown][size=5][i]Where have we been and where are we now 8)
    This is also HOLY WEEK … and wish a blessed Passover & Easter season to all ๐Ÿ™‚ [/i][/size][/color]

[article]1465[/article]

Truman
    Participant

Thanks you CI and Traders – It will be a short week with Easter Weekend ahead – could be some high volatility in store with the lack of fear out there.

PALM SUNDAY is celebrated today — as we are now at the start “holy week” ๐Ÿ™‚
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Sunday

[size=5][i]Another strong weather system has arrived in SW VA & severe t-storm warning in effect :unsure:
    including rare Tornado warnings in our area (in next county over) :ohmy:
    We are getting t-storms & heavy rains & believe we’ll avoid worst.[/i][/size]
    https://weather.com/news/news/2019-04-13-severe-impacts-tornado-texas-louisiana-mississippi-alabama

[size=5]TIGER WOODS wins 2019 MASTERS (as I watched some of coverage on a great finish)
    https://fox8.com/2019/04/14/tiger-woods-wins-2019-masters-tournament/[/size]

[size=5][i]WOW – storms in east were indeed powerful … but thankfully we did not end up in LAND of OZ :ohmy:
    we had actual tornado warnings all around us — however most were cloud based & very few touched down ๐Ÿ™‚
    Still incredible straight line winds & heavy rain (about 3″) — but we have power & no damages 8)
    BAMBI & I are thankful to have made it thru okay & wish all a GREAT WEEK ahead of trading ๐Ÿ˜†
    Futures are FLAT currently as we start this shorter trading week — with markets being closed on Good Friday.[/i][/size]

[size=5][i]Ohhhh the humanity … Speaking of WICKED WITCHES of the WEST :woohoo:
    MUELLER REPORT will be released on THURSDAY :ohmy:[/i][/size]

ThePitBoss
    Participant

Potential risk for energy and Canadian markets – Alberta voters go to the polls Tuesday

Alberta is oil rich and the province voted on Tuesday. Alberta voters go to the polls on Tuesday

Oil-rich Alberta votes in a provincial election on Tuesday that’s a risk for the Canadian dollar.

The incumbent NDP government is likely to lose power to the Conservatives with polls giving them a 44.3%-36.4%.

The Conservatives are seen as much more friendly to the oil and gas industry and are expected to pursue a more aggressive policy to get pipelines built.

It all depends if it’s a majority or minority government, the majority would favor the Canadian dollar would prefer a majority government as would related equities.

Results will be out late Tuesday.

Overall, it’s tough to estimate how much the market will react but anything more than 50 pips is a stretch. What’s more interesting is that high turnout and a large win for the Conservatives likely spells trouble for Prime Minister Trudeau in the election that’s expected in Sept/Oct. T

The incumbent NDP government is likely to lose power to the Conservatives. A poll released today show they’re ahead 44.3%-36.4% with various parties picking up the rest of the vote.

The Conservatives are seen as much more friendly to the oil industry and are expected to pursue a more aggressive policy to get pipelines built, something that has plagued the Canadian oil industry.

A big question will be whether it’s a majority or minority government. The Canadian dollar would prefer a majority government and any less might lead to some disappointment.

Results will be out late Tuesday (early Wed in Asia).

To watch is whether a high turnout and a large win for the Conservatives means trouble for Prime Minister Trudeau in the Federal election that’s expected in later this year.

[i][size=5]Sadly, a major historical & religious loss …
    850 year old Notre Dame cathedral in Paris destroyed in major fire[/size][/i] ๐Ÿ™

[color=red][size=5]Markets finish a tiny bit in red with minor profit taking ๐Ÿ™‚
    [b]Dow 26,384.77 -27.53 -0.10%
    S&P 500 2,905.58 -1.83 -0.06%
    Nasdaq 7,976.01 -8.15 -0.10%
    Gold 1,290.90 -4.30 -0.33%
    Oil 63.51 -0.38 -0.59[/b][/size][/color]

ThePitBoss
    Participant

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=10280][i][size=5]Sadly, a major historical & religious loss …
    850 year old Notre Dame cathedral in Paris destroyed in major fire[/size][/i] ๐Ÿ™

[tweet]1117851407644684288[/tweet]

[i][size=5]Good TUE morning to all … while we were close to freezing last 2 mornings – we will warm to 70F today
    FUTURES are up … DOW = +175
    While Notre Dame cathedral was destroyed, some brave priests saved many relics
    Also there is a potential to REBUILD — which is excellent news
    Amazingly the CROSS & center of building survived major damages[/size][/i]
    https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/photos-show-center-of-notre-dame-cathedral-miraculously-intact/

TradersCom
    Keymaster

US March industrial production -0.1% vs +0.2% expected
    Prior was 0.0% revised up to +0.1%

US Industrial production rose 2.8% year-on-year in March 2019, following a 3.5% increase previous month. It was the smallest gain in industrial output in ten months.

Manufacturing production 0.0% vs +0.1% expected
    Prior -0.4% revised up to -0.3%
    Capacity utilization 78.8% vs 79.2% expected

TradersCom
    Keymaster

[color=orange][size=5][b]US April NAHB housing market index 63 as expected
    Prior 62[/b][/size][/color]

Highest reading since October of 2018.

Current single-family sales 69 vs 68 prior
    Prospective buyers 47 vs 44
    Sales over next six months 71 vs 72 prior

NAHB Housing Market Index in the United States averaged 50.30 from 1985 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 78 in December of 1998 and a record low of 8 in January of 2009.

MoneyNeverSleeps
    Participant

No fear out there โ€ฆ

โ€œAs long as trade talks with China appear to be progressing, the stock market can look forward to blue skies for the next 4 weeks as 1st quarter earnings are revealed,โ€ said Marc Chaikin, CEO of Chaikin Analytics, in a note to clients.

โ€œIn gauging the potential for a rally in stocks to continue, it is always comforting to see muted investor sentiment, as this is a contrary indicator.โ€

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.