IRMA – New Storm off Sahara Desert

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

[size=5]About a week or so, we will know more — but this does have some potential as noted below as it will become a major hurricane

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-threat-to-track-across-atlantic-this-week-will-it-affect-the-us/70002598

QUOTE: Residents who live along the East Coast or have interests in the Caribbean Sea should take time to review emergency procedures and make sure they are prepared for extreme tropical conditions.[/size]

Assistanc3
    Participant

Hurricane Irma now a Category 2

Assistanc3
    Participant

Hurricane Irma strengthens to Category 4 storm as it nears Caribbean

CAT 5 – 175 mph … 929mb and FALLING

CAT 5 – 180 mph … 931mb
    (watch barometer as key measure of strength in hours ahead)
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Irma

[b][color=red][size=5]CAT 5 – 185 mph … 926mb and FALLING

STRONGEST ATLANTIC HURRICANE EVER RATED
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article171291337.html%5B/size%5D%5B/color%5D%5B/b%5D

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Irma

Assistanc3
    Participant

Miami Mayor: “Expect Evacuation Order On Wednesday Or Thursday”

[size=5]2017 is exact opposite of recent years as USA is drawing in storms rather than blocking them … Personally, I’m praying for a MIRACLE, as this could be significant

actually this storm is in 2nd place — USA’s most powerful storm (Labor Day 1935 before we had better measurements … the 1935 storm was CAT 5 & 200 mph but estimated v. scientific instruments of 2017 … hopefully something will weaken storm, but do prepare for worst .. there are more unknowns than known — I’m preparing even in VA to stock up in case of massive power outages[/size]

Assistanc3
    Participant

if all Democrats were to face SSE and blowout the hot air they do daily, that could shear into Irma?

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=1319][size=5]2017 is exact opposite of recent years as USA is drawing in storms rather than blocking them … Personally, I’m praying for a MIRACLE, as this could be significant

actually this storm is in 2nd place — USA’s most powerful storm (Labor Day 1935 before we had better measurements … the 1935 storm was CAT 5 & 200 mph but estimated v. scientific instruments of 2017 … hopefully something will weaken storm, but do prepare for worst .. there are more unknowns than known — I’m preparing even in VA to stock up in case of massive power outages[/size][/quote]

Assistanc3
    Participant

Antigua and Barbuda are first in line to experience the wrath of Cat. 5
    the strongest storm to impact Leeward Islands on record.

[size=5]I’m hoping for some weakening … but realistically, this is still CAT 5 (914mb) and probably one of top 10 of all time in Atlantic … Florida may take a major hit or it could skirt into SC even

I’m planning now for battening down in SW VA … as HUGO roared in as a CAT 1 even in our area & ripped off shingles galore on our home years ago. Our home shook all night long, so these are very serious. Plus tornado activity is present with so much unstable air. And there’s there the RAIN & flooding[/size]

WOW – even in SW VA, I’m taking HURRICANE precautions for IRMA … if it has a SC/NC landfall to the interior — it’ll hit Charlotte at near hurricane force & we’ll likely have heavy rain squalls or 40-50+ mph on top of mtn. (we rode out HUGO as a CAT1 in our area years ago – and have nightmares still of that) … Early reports forecast 4″ that there are a ton of UNKNOWNS … still it is good to prepare for worst case scenarios)

NASA photo
    president’s address was excellent on both storms today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.