HOME, GARDEN & CRITTERS 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    The
    Participant

Appreciate you sharing the link above about the “Texas Bluebonnet Rattlesnake”.

That’s a good one!

Was laughing when seeing the rattlesnake picture, because it reminded me of years ago when seeing the largest rattlesnake I’ve ever seen in my lifetime after fishing at Choke Canyon lake down in south Texas. That lake is somewhat of other fame because is formed by the Frio River being dammed to form the lake – the same Frio River which George Strait sings about in one of his songs. ;>)

[color=teal][b]Mtns of SW VA is also RATTLESNAKE country (I always carry a “big stick” (lol) while hiking … grow 4 or 5 feet & once place about 2 miles away is notorious (very rocky & they abound) … we have mostly blacksnakes but am still CAUTIOUS πŸ˜‰

I was going to “snail mail” some GHOST pepper seeds to a good friend in Dayton — but I did not want to risk violating some of agriculture interstate laws that might be in place – lol .. and I have learned to dry out my own pepper seeds & they will germinate well once May or June arrives (all varieties) .. Simply cut out core with seeds — place in jar lid & let sit in the window seal for several days …

I have 16 ghost peppers growing in former flower bed that I have expanded πŸ™‚ — these are about 10X hotter than habenaroes πŸ™‚ Will be planting many other varieties also (as have a ton of habs seeds — which is one of favorite flavors … I had 7 in last chili batch 8) I still have about 50+ ghosts and 200+ habs frozen from 2017 crop … I could make some good $$$ actually growing & drying some of most exotic pepper plants (and thankful for great health where I can enjoy the good vitamin “C” and metabolism benefits)

P.S. Tis season of spring fawns – and time to listen to race on radio – while hiking high mtn trails of SW VA 8)[/b][/color]

[color=red][b]MEMORIAL DAY CHILI – OHHH THE HUMANITY πŸ˜‰ :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

GHOST + HABS – 7 OF HOTTEST PEPPERS from freezer (about 3 million Scoville) πŸ™‚
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33865520_2085528944808572_4613312282024214528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHXqlOtP-wS8XESY9sKsoo_s-LC66bjJoPgArjdJ352MobE6jBpnQuqTkEdmsDlQwJAtkb5yx0koZ7lZqURB_1d25r-VVbv4SpD1QGF6FHEkg&oh=2814ee7469f4546eb12ac297d3b0508f&oe=5B761B87

EZ RECIPE FOR GHOST CHILLI – possibly hottest batch ever made 8)
    Wolf’s chili + baked beans + hot peppers in crock pot is easy recipe (and this is high in vitamin “C”)
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/33900779_2085536198141180_6409753117457383424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFvbk3kI4mpKELwqmTKQ0yoeC8SeBY82XV8D3J9nNH2IV4UR45xi3UGMeUjaD2cqeYdBw4jaE6FDyFdrAbnOvP77yQEO5-qjzfnz30d-MVgXA&oh=da2bfce34d757fa4531f43775807bf17&oe=5BBACA03

[/b][/color]

TradersCom
    Keymaster

hot hot hot!

The
    Participant

[quote=”CautiousInvestor” post=6549][color=teal][b]Mtns of SW VA is also RATTLESNAKE country (I always carry a “big stick” (lol) while hiking … grow 4 or 5 feet & once place about 2 miles away is notorious (very rocky & they abound) … we have mostly blacksnakes but am still CAUTIOUS πŸ˜‰

I was going to “snail mail” some GHOST pepper seeds to a good friend in Dayton — but I did not want to risk violating some of agriculture interstate laws that might be in place – lol .. and I have learned to dry out my own pepper seeds & they will germinate well once May or June arrives (all varieties) .. Simply cut out core with seeds — place in jar lid & let sit in the window seal for several days …

I have 16 ghost peppers growing in former flower bed that I have expanded πŸ™‚ — these are about 10X hotter than habenaroes πŸ™‚ Will be planting many other varieties also (as have a ton of habs seeds — which is one of favorite flavors … I had 7 in last chili batch 8) I still have about 50+ ghosts and 200+ habs frozen from 2017 crop … I could make some good $$$ actually growing & drying some of most exotic pepper plants (and thankful for great health where I can enjoy the good vitamin “C” and metabolism benefits)

P.S. Tis season of spring fawns – and time to listen to race on radio – while hiking high mtn trails of SW VA 8)[/b][/color][/quote]

Sounds great! If you decide to snail mail me some Ghost Pepper seeds will be happy to plant them. I eat jalapenos all the time as you know, so would be interesting to see how much hotter Ghost Peppers are than jalapenos.

You’re making me laugh about an incident which happened at work years ago. Since I eat jalapenos all the time, as a joke one of my bosses (one of our site directors) ordered what were called “911 Chicken Wings” (as if you’re supposed to have to call the fire department when consumed they are so flaming hot) from Hooters which are considered by others to be extremely hot. My boss/site director told the manager at Hooters to make sure they were as fiery hot with pepper juices as could possibly be made … followed by my boss telling the 95 employees I was responsible for at the time as well as other managers in the building what was done so everyone could watch and laugh as I ate the HOTTEST chicken wings they had ever heard of. I did not know what had been done, and their practical joke completely backfired when I ate the entire large order of 911 Chicken Wings then asked for more because I thought they were so good. Those chicken wings were so hot with habanero and jalapeno juices it actually caused the skin on my lips to peel within hours, but did not realize while eating the chicken wings they were hot because of eating jalapenos every single day.

LOL… YES – while working in monsoon soaked gardens of SW VIRGINIA … A new deer was snorting several times & approaching garden area where radishes, hot peppers, and mustard greens are growing — in 3rd wettest MAY rainfall of all time :woohoo: … I got a good laugh as deer thought –– I was invading THEIR GARDEN πŸ˜†

The
    Participant

You have your pet deer, and now appears I have a pet raccoon.

Last year there was a baby raccoon which was the smaller of its siblings which frequented my yard looking for food, and because of how much smaller it was than the others and was bullied by the other raccoons for food they found I began feeding it to make sure it would survive. Now every single night or early morning (usually anytime from sundown to sunup) it’s at my backdoor wanting food – often laying on the back porch waiting for me to walk outside so it can run around my feet in circles begging for food.

For example: Was exhausted by yesterday evening so went to sleep around 8;30pm, not waking up until around 6am this morning. So when the raccoon noticed me in the living room at 6:20am this morning after sunup the raccoon began banging with its paws on the backdoor to get my attention so I would take it a large bowl of dry cat food. All the other raccoons around our neighborhood will not come out when their is sunlight, only looking for food when it’s dark.

ThePitBoss
    Participant

Thank you great shares CI – the heat chart is very handy!

The
    Participant

Just baked some of my favorite cornbread – Jalapeno Cornbread – of course.

Don’t think I could handle Carolina Reeper cornbread though.

CI if you’ve never had jalapeno cornbread you need to try it sometime.

TradersCom
    Keymaster

Jalapeno Cornbread a staple down here esp with BBQ – nice stuff πŸ™‚

[color=limegreen][b]YES – Jalapeno cornbread is excellent .. one of our church members was from Mexico originally & is my favorite cook … in fact pizza with habs & 1 ghost pepper is likely on menu tonight … I had done a triple ghost crockpot chili for probably the most heat of all time — but 1 is all you need

in recent years I consider them moved more in the sweet pepper family … actually with both habs & ghosts – no problems for me as they are super healthy & milk can help cool the lava heat … still I’m now built up tolerance to both … my better half still buys about 1lb of hot peppers at store each week πŸ˜‰ :)[/b][/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.