High-performance graphics chip pioneer NVidia reported much better than expected fiscal Q4 earnings after the market close on Thursday. In a day when the Dow crashed 1000 points NVidia stock was up 14% in after hours.
High-performance graphics chip pioneer NVidia reported better than expected fiscal Q4 earnings after the market close on Thursday. In a day when the Dow crashed 1000 points NVidia stock was up 14% in after hours.
Image: CEO Jen-Hsun
$NVDA has the pulse on hot technology product lines include, data centers, artificial intelligence, digital currencies, machine learning and self-driving cars.
Earnings per share of $1.78 on sales of $2.91 billion crushing EPS of 99 cents and $2.17 billion in the year-earlier period. Analysts expected $1.16 and $2.67 billion for the January quarter.
- Record quarterly revenue of $2.91 billion, up 34 percent from a year ago
- Record full-year revenue of $9.71 billion, up 41 percent from a year ago
- Record quarterly GAAP gross margin of 61.9 percent, non-GAAP gross margin of 62.1 percent
- Record full-year GAAP EPS of $4.82, up 88 percent from a year ago
Reaction: NVIDIA Corp NASDAQ: $NVDA
After Hours $248.00▲ 30.48 (+14.01%)
$NVDA consistently trumps analysts’ expectations and comes just after Sony through Playstation and gaming stocks Take Two Interactive $TTWO and Activision Blizzard $ATVI delivered strong earnings. NVIDA chips, graphics processors are gaming industry standouts for personal computers and video game consoles.
“In a powerful sign of our progress, attendees at Nvidia’s GPU Technology Conferences reached 22,000, up 10-fold in five years, as software developers working in AI, self-driving cars, and a broad range of other fields continued to discover the acceleration and money-saving benefits of our GPU computing platform,” Nvidia Chief Executive Jensen Huang said in a news release.
What excites investors is earnings driven by strength across all product lines including, high-performance processors for data centers, artificial intelligence, digital currencies, machine learning and self-driving cars. Indeed not just gaming but all the technology hotspots.
- For the current quarter, Nvidia expects revenue of $2.9 billion, up 33% year over year.
- $NVDA did not give a target for earnings per share.
- Nvidia expects its GAAP gross profit margin to be 62.7% in the first quarter, compared with 61.9% in the fourth quarter.
- Consensus was for Nvidia to earn 97 cents a share, up 18%, on sales of $2.44 billion, up 26%, for the April period, according to Zacks.
Last Month the Chipmaker showed again it was a leader in ‘hot tech’ with Nvidia $NVDA Artificial Intelligence Computer To Run Fully Autonomous Vehicle
Huang added “Industries around the world are racing to incorporate AI. “Virtually every internet and cloud service provider has embraced our Volta GPUs. Hundreds of transportation companies are using our Nvidia Drive platform. From manufacturing and health care to smart cities, innovators are using our platform to invent the future.”
What is Drive PX Pegasus?
- Combines four powerful processors in a device the size of a license plate
- Can complete 320 trillion operations per second, 10 times the performance of Nvidia’s previous generation of self-driving car computer.
- Expected to be available in the second half of next year,
- Has already attracted commitments from leading autonomous car startups, including Zoox, NuTonomy, and Optimus Ride.
NVidia’s new Pascal GPUs are fully ramped and enjoy great success in gaming, VR, self-driving cars and datacenter AI computing. The com-any has also invested years of work and billions of dollars to advance deep learning. The $NVDA GPU deep learning platform runs every AI framework, and is available in cloud services from Amazon, IBM, Microsoft and Alibaba, and in servers from every OEM.
NVidia Last Quarter Earnings: NVidia $NVDA Earnings Ahead, Machine Learning, AI, Gaming Graphics
Source: NVidia Earnings Release
Nvidia announced last year it intends to return $1.25 billion to shareholders in dividends and buybacks in fiscal 2018.